Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Bubbles, fishes and Olivia, oh my!

These last few weeks have been hard and good at the same time. I've been out of commission with a cold off and on for almost two months. It's slowed me down but it hasn't to slowed Maya down one bit. Although I feel sad that I haven't been able to take her out to our playgroup as much as I would like she doesn't seem to be phased by this. I'm glad.

So here are some awesome things that have been going on these last few weeks.

I know I told you all that Maya was on the verge of blowing bubbles...well she's done it!!! It wasn't long after that pre-bubble post that she started to blow out of her mouth and make little bubbles appear. Sooooo exciting!




The other day we went to the aquarium and I noticed that Maya was actually looking at the fish. Usually she's not so interested and mostly just likes the tide pool area, where the water crashes in every few seconds. But that day she was enjoying all the fishies. She spend a lot of time sitting in a little viewing area for the sting rays and sharks. I don't know if it was the fish or just the environment but she started to vocalize a lot. I like to think she was singing to the fish. Her interest in these objects, moving objects that are outside of her immediate space, is a big step. She understands flash cards of fish, she understands books with photos of the animals at the zoo...but to see them in person is another concept all together.






 
 

So a few weeks ago Maya ventured into the little Olivia dress up box I bought a couple of months ago. A tutu, pretend ballet slippers, and leggings have been a hit with Maya lately. Every day Maya takes down the cardboard box and usually asks for help opening it. Then she proceeds to stick out her legs so I can put the leggings on. Sometimes she'll go to the mirror and try and put on the safari hat that also comes in the box. Other times she just prances around the house with the little tutu on. It's rather cute if I say so myself.




Before Christmas I went through Maya's toys with the idea of donating them to children in need. It was good for me to go through these objects. I could really see how far she has come. Of course there are a few toys that she has outgrown that I couldn't quite let go of just yet. I suppose they remind me of the times when she accomplished a huge goal and part of me doesn't want to forget the amazing strides she has made.

Yep, my little girl is growing up! As always, I can't wait to see what she does next.

2 comments:

Becca said...

I was so excited the first time Samantha managed to blow bubbles! Yay, Maya! Btw, just yesterday I posted about the importance of dress-up on childhood development. So cool that Maya's dressing up extends to Olivia (Samantha's hands-down FAVORITE character).

ParkerMama said...

Just found your blog. So nice to meet you and your sweet Maya.

Tammy and Parker
www.prayingforparker.com